How Many Calories Does It Take To Make A Pint Of Blood

How Many Calories in a Pint of Blood?

Blood is an essential component of the human body, carrying nutrients and oxygen to various parts of the body and removing waste. But have you ever wondered how many calories are there in a pint of blood? In this article, we will explore the topic in detail.

Understanding Blood Composition

Before we discuss the caloric content of blood, it’s important to understand its composition. Blood consists of plasma and different types of cells, including red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. Plasma makes up about 55% of our blood volume and contains water, proteins, and other nutrients, while cells make up the other 45%.

Calorie Content of Blood Components

When it comes to determining the calorie content of blood, it’s necessary to examine each of its components separately. Here’s what we know about the caloric content of each:

Red Blood Cells

Red blood cells contain a protein called hemoglobin, which plays a crucial role in carrying oxygen to our tissues. However, they do not contain any significant calories or nutrients.

White Blood Cells

White blood cells are responsible for fighting off infections and other foreign substances in our bodies. Like red blood cells, they do not contain any significant calories or nutrients.


Platelets aid in blood clotting and healing, but like the other cell types, they do not contain any significant nutrients or calories.


Out of all the blood components, plasma contains the only significant number of calories and nutrients. According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, one cup (240 ml) of human blood plasma contains about 95 calories, along with small amounts of minerals, vitamins, and electrolytes.

How Many Calories in A Pint of Blood?

The average adult has approximately 10 pints of blood in their body, which equates to about 5.6 liters of blood. Thus, one pint of human blood would contain around 19 calories.

It’s worth noting that while 19 calories may seem like an insignificant number, it can add up over time. For example, suppose a person with type O blood donates a pint of blood every eight weeks. In that case, they could burn around 238 calories per year by donating blood alone.

Is Blood Nutritious?

While plasma does contain calories and nutrients, it’s not recommended to consume blood as a significant source of nutrition. Firstly, it is not a complete food; it lacks essential macronutrients like carbohydrates, fat, and fiber. Secondly, there are potential health risks associated with consuming raw or contaminated blood, such as contracting infections or diseases.


In conclusion, one pint of human blood contains around 19 calories, primarily derived from its plasma component. While this number may seem insignificant, donating blood regularly can help burn some extra calories, and in turn, help someone in need. However, it’s essential to remember that consuming blood as a primary food source is not recommended and carries potential health risks.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *